Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Ripple for Our Little Bird

I spent some time recently {OK, all of last weekend} responding to a request from my son's school director, who was looking for help (!) creating some marketing materials to promote the school at a public event. She threw out some initial ideas and I, being enmeshed in branding and marketing land 40-ish hours a week at my 9-5 (as a Manager, not Creative), not being able to resist offering suggestions, and having gained some confidence donning my coordination and design hats during the school's Harvest the Music event, decided to offer that help. 

While I learned that I'm a serious perfectionist {must let go!}, my efficiency is not the best, and it's probably a good idea for me to learn a few keyboard commands, ultimately, I am very proud of the work I did, and I'm pretty sure, it is going to catch the attention of some prospective parents, or others, who, upon approaching the booth, are going to be greeted by one of the most passionate educators I have met in a long time.

To make a long story short, my son's Charter School struggled the first two years. Somehow, by the grace of chance, Alexis landed there, and ultimately, set the wheels in motion to save our alternative option by renewing the lost charter under a new, more supportive wing, enrolling enough children to get things off the ground, and finding, signing, painting, cleaning, and moving into a new location, all within the span of 7 weeks.

I believe, it is because of her dedication, that each and every one of the parents, guardians and extended family members in this community, yes COMMUNITY, are willing to go to bat for this school.

To aid me in my efforts, I solicited the help of the teachers to gather materials, and parent photographers to help me with my mission. 6 people stepped up to the plate immediately, 5 of whom were able to go by the school, THAT WEEK, and photograph the kids, classrooms, materials, premises, etc. You name it, they shot it. And they delivered beautiful, amazing shots.

Everything was done, produced, and delivered by yesterday evening, in time for the event tonight.

This morning, Alexis greeted me with a lovely {actually quite rockin'} new amber colored hair-do, and a card with a handwritten note.


It reminded me, like a little voice from the universe, how important it is to listen to my intuition, always move forward with action, and do what I love to help others. The whole process grounded me again. Yay! I'm a ripple! 

Are you doing what you love to help others? Share your stories on our Facebook page, comment below or drop me a line at gaiagreetings@gmail.com 

In the meantime, check out the story of Rescued Cards, founded by Monica Hoover—doing what she loves to promote the ones who save the ones she loves. ;~)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider others and maintain positivity in your posts. Mutual Respect. All is One. Gaia Groove.